Having a warm creamy bowl of healthy roasted butternut squash and cauliflower soup on a rainy day should be on your list of things to do. This soup is packed with flavor and nutrients but also low in calories as well. If you have a cold or are on a diet, this butternut squash soup may be just what you need.
If you want to try an easier version that takes less time to cook, here’s my other easy butternut squash soup recipe. With that being said, let’s get this recipe started mama’s!
Healthy Roasted Butternut Squash And Cauliflower Soup
My version of this butternut squash soup is full of flavor and contains low-calorie ingredients but you can always go with full-fat.
For example, the coconut milk used in this recipe is 0-fat, also, I use olive oil but you can use butter to increase the creaminess and flavor.
Tip: Always choose fully riped butternut squash for your soups to prevent bitterness and increase creaminess.
To know if the butternut squash is ripe enough, it should be matte in texture and rich tan, orange, or dark amber in color.
Ingredients for 6 servings | preparation & cooking time: 1 hour 5 min
- 1 large butternut squash (cut into half lengthwise)
- 1 small head of cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (divided)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup of organic 0-fat coconut milk
- 2 (10 fluid ounces) cans of low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth or stock
How To Make Roasted Butternut & Cauliflower Soup
- Start by preheating the oven to 450F and line your baking tray with foil.
- Coat both sides of the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, a pinch of salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Place the butternut squash face down on the tray and put it on the middle rack of the oven.
- Let it bake for 50 minutes or until tender or caramelized.
- Line another baking tray with foil, using a bowl or Ziploc bag, and mix the cauliflower florets with the rest of the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Mix or shake until the florets so that they are well coated and spread evenly on the other baking sheet.
- Once your butternut squash is baked halfway through, place the cauliflower in the oven and let it roast for 25 minutes.
- Once they are baked, let them cool on your kitchen counter and peel the butternut squash with your fingers.
- In a soup pot, heat the vegetable or chicken broth and add in the cauliflower and butternut squash.
- Using a hand blender, blend until completely creamy and smooth.
- Garnish with a spoon or 0-fat cream and parsley or rosemary, voila, you’re done!
Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Soup Nutrition Facts
Each serving of this soup contains 243 calories | 9.1g (12%) total fat | 3.8g (19%) saturated fat | 0% cholesterol | 24% sodium | 41g (15%) total carbs | 7.4g dietary fiber | 8.5g total sugars | 6.6g protein | 12% calcium | 16% iron | 28% potassium |
How To Store Leftover Butternut Squash Soup
To store your leftover butternut squash soup, transfer it to a Tupperware and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. To reheat it, I usually add a bit of water or broth and let it simmer.
What To Serve With Butternut Squash Soup
You can even have your soup with a simple slice of whole wheat bread, garlic bread, or sourdough bread, it really comes down to what you prefer.
Your options are endless, some people have grilled cheese sandwiches, smoked turkey sandwiches, BLT sandwiches, or even roast beef sandwiches with butternut squash soup. Check out these butternut squash soup topping ideas.
Spices That Goes Well With Butternut Squash Soup
If you’re into spicy food, you can add cayenne or chili peppers, it really adds a whole different taste to the soup. Rosemary, thyme, sage, black pepper, cilantro, parsley, garlic & onion powder, cloves, and cinnamon are all of the best spices to use in your soup as well.
Butternut squash soup is very delicious and it’s kid-friendly as well. I hope you try this recipe and if you do, let me know how it went in the comments below. Make sure to save the recipe for later and follow me on Pinterest for more awesome healthy recipes.